Friday 15 January 2021

Project Backlog, Part 1

Dark Emissary

Some of the oldest and most unholy tomes held in the Grand Library of Sigmaron tell gruesome tales about the mysterious Dark Emissaries. They are traditionally portrayed as harbingers of doom who, throughout the Age of Myth, appeared before lords on the eve of battle, offering service in exchange for petty tokens or trinkets. Yet in the battle's wake the Dark Emissaries did not depart, but were retained by rulers who grew to depend on the wizened creatures' sorceries and advice. As the lords' reliance upon the Dark Emissaries grew, so did their own characters grow ever crueller and their ambitions broader. Without warning, when the lords needed aid the most, the Dark Emissaries would disappear, leaving their victims to suffer the consequences of their hubris. Who can say what the Dark Emissaries' motives were? Did they seek to foment anarchy for its own sake, or did they work to a wider plan? The answer, if ever there was one, was lost in the madness of the Age of Chaos.


Since the continuos lockdowns are making any actual gaming impossible, my inspiration has drained away. It seems I need a story to tell together with friends to come up with ideas for models and get motivated to paint them. Now, rather than not doing any hobby at all, I resolved myself to tackle my admitedly huge backlog of models. I'm simply going through my boxes, pick a model I fancy on that particular moment and get down to paint it. I'm not spending time thinking about the models' background or how I might use them in games, but ideas are coming as I work on them.


I bought the Dark Emissary shortly after the release of Storm of Magic in 2011. It sat, sealed in its blister, in a drawer since then. I might one day use it as a Chaos Sorcer or Bray Shaman and an idea for his minions has formed up in my mind. Once I'll fancy doing them, they'll be based on Skull Pass goblins...

No comments:

Post a Comment