Sunday 5 July 2020

Dark Skies Over the Harrowmark, Part 3

Pecker's Haven, Captain Pecker & Ysh Ma'el

How Gregorius Pecker came into possession of the island that was to take his name, nobody really knows. What all skyfarers of the Harrowmark know is that he and his ghurish monkey, Fetch, are surprsingly good at manning the cannon and swivel gun should a ship refuse to pay Pecker's mooring fees. Many also claim that, in the fumes of the grog that Fetch regularly supplies to its master, the retired captain tells with spite of the great sky beast that took his left hand and leg.
If this story is true, probably only Ysh Ma'el knows. But those that ask him, soon find out that the wizard is half-crazed and the only thing that they can get from him are incoherent mutterings
of impending doom and of ghostly lights surrounding Pecker on the deck of a ship.
So it is that the pirates and sailors of the Harrowmark skies leave the two men alone, happy to at least have a place where warm grog is never in short supply.

Pecker's Haven drifting close to Blackrock

Gregorius Pecker, Fetch and Ysh Ma'el

Marking some hundred or so students' essays absorbed quite a lot of my time, but I got there. My floating island is finally finished!


For the house I went for a palette of greys, rather than the red roof and white walls of John Blanches' paintings appearing in Games Workshop publications. This way, it ties better with Saul's Harrowmark buildings and it remains close to what largely inspired the Harrowmark, Blanche's Voodoo Forest black & white drawings.




Everything else, was painted using the same combination of greys, browns, greens and aged metal.



Finally, I have rebased and touched up the painting on Captain Pecker and the other long term resident of Pecker's Haven, Ysh Ma'el. I made them ages ago, to be a Pit Fighter and Warlock for my Dwarf Pirates, when I used to play them as a Mordheim warband. Since the Dwarf Pirates were repainted to fit into the Free Companies of the Gilded Hand, Pecker and Ysh Ma'el had languished in a box, still on their square bases.

Pecker, being an old metal model, didn't quite fill a 32mm base (my favourites for human-sized models), so I've added the Powder Monkey from the Free Guild Handgunners.

Ysh Ma'el is a Battle Wizard, with the crystal ball swapped for the astrolabe from the same kit, a greenstuff hat and a resculpted sleeve. Funny thing is I can't recall why I resculpted the sleeve...

Now, the question is whether to build a crew for them and make them the central characters for our sky battle (whenever that will be!). The alternative is to keep them as NPCs and instead build a ghostly ship and crew to serve Kalyustar...

2 comments:

  1. I'd completely forgotten about this endeavour! It's a cracking skyport for all the floating ships!

    Looks like I'll have to pull my finger out and get my Clan Skurvy ship and crew sorted in time for this bash! :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, you should definitely get those rats done!

      Delete