Sunday 15 September 2019

Shadows of Commorragh, Part 1

Prologue

Daisan Verkosian sat behind a stone desk, a gyrinx cub resting on his lap. The Drachon looked at the felid, scratching its head. He then lifted his eyes to meet Yrule Vivithrax's gaze and raised, briskly dropping the gyrinx onto the table. He walked away from the table and the dim light surrounding it. Then, from the darkness at the back of the room, he spoke.
"Yrule, Yrule. What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? I had a lot of respect for your business, Yrule. When you've sold us weapons in the past we've always been satisfied. But, now you come to me and ask 'Lord Verkosian, give me your servants' souls'. But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer friendship."


"I want to make a deal" was Yrule's icy reply, his eyes locked onto those of the gyrinx.


"Always straight to business, eh Yrule?" chuckled Verkosian.
"Well... I have something you want. To make a deal, you must have something I want, yes? And it so happens there is something I want... something our mutual friend Lady Anielyn might one day use against me." The Drachon's sarchasm turned into utter spite at the mention of his once lover.
"My informants tell me she has secured a deal with the Hex. The Haemonculi are developing a new elixir for her. Hurrikhaine, they call it in the streets".


Daisan Verkosian paused to walk around the table and then past the Thanarch. Yrule kept his eyes on the gyrinx still sprawled on the table. Then Daisan turned and leaned close to whisper into the Thanarch's hear.
"Find where they are making it, raid the Haemonculi's dungeon and bring me a Hurrikhaine sample. Do this discretely, so that no one can link you to me. Do this, and I'll let you preach the word of your Sleeping God among my subjects".


"So be it. You'll have your elixir, Lord Verkosian". Yrule's voice was even colder than that of the Dracon.
"But mark my words, Daisan. Show once again disdain for Ynnead and I will take what I want from you, whether you like it or not".


"That we shall see", replied Lord Verkosian laughing. "That we shall see".
Yrule Vivitrax lightly stepped away and left the room, Verkosian's laugh ringing loud in his hears.
What the Drachon did not notice was the gyrinx jumping down from the table to follow the Thanarch, its paws touching the floor precisely when every of Yrule's steps echoed through the corridor.


2 comments: